Just when we thought our Rice Krispie treat recipe couldn’t get any better, I decided to try a churro version with the new cinnamon sugar Rice Krispies and life as we know it has changed forever!
Sometimes I wonder why I even try! Ha! It’s impossible to know what is going to make you all go crazy! I work so hard on developing recipes and taking great photos and then those recipes do nothing. On a whim, I post a video of Grayson’s new favorite Rice Krispy treat and it explodes on Instagram. You just never know!
Ingredients for Churro Rice Krispie Treats
You will only need 7 ingredients to make this easy no bake dessert, and I’m willing to bet you have more than half the ingredients in your house already ready! Oh boy, that’s dangerous! Here is what you will need:
- Butter – adds richness, flavor and helps the bars stay soft and gooey
- Vanilla – adds flavor
- Mini Marshmallows – you can use regular size marshmallows but you will need to chop them up or they don’t melt as easily so I highly recommend using mini mallows
- Cinnamon Sugar Rice Krispies Cereal – this is a fairly new cereal and a regular size box will be plenty to give you the 4 cups
- Rice Krispies Cereal – just the plain regular flavor rice cereal, a mix of these with the cinnamon sugar Rice Krispies gives yields the best treats
- Sea Salt – a little bit of salt goes a long way in amping up the flavor here
- Cinnamon Sugar – you can buy premade cinnamon sugar or make your own (see instructions below)
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar
For making cinnamon sugar, the typical ratio of cinnamon to sugar is 1:4 or 1 part cinnamon for everything 4 parts of sugar. I personally like it a little more cinnamon-y but it’s totally up to you!
[mv_video doNotAutoplayNorOptimizePlacement=”false” doNotOptimizePlacement=”false” jsonLd=”true” key=”vsrvlv1jmpzbjwklrbqr” ratio=”16:9″ thumbnail=”https://mediavine-res.cloudinary.com/video/upload/vsrvlv1jmpzbjwklrbqr.jpg” title=”Churro Rice Krispie Treats” volume=”70″]
What Makes Rice Krispie Treats Hard?
Nothing is worse than biting into a Rice Krispie treat and it ripping up the roof of your mouth. I know you all have been there! No bueno! There are a couple of tips for avoiding a hard Rice Krispie treat:
- Don’t skimp on the butter or marshmallows in this recipe! The ratio of butter and marshmallows to rice cereal is crucial to having a gooey, soft and perfect rice krispy treat.
- When you are melting the butter and marshmallows, stir frequently and don’t overheat it. You don’t want the marshmallows to get too hot because then they start to crystallize which will result them hardening when they cool.
- Once everything is mixed together and you are moving the treats to the 9×13 pan, don’t pack the mixture into the pan. Don’t press and smash and stuffing them into the pan as hard as you. Try to just get them into the pan, even them out and leave them squishy.
- Use fresh marshmallows. That bag of mini mallows that has been in the pantry for months isn’t going to melt the same and stay soft.
Tips for Making the Best Rice Krispie Treats
So I’ve given you tips for keeping the treats soft and chewy. Here are just couple more tips for having the most success when you’re making the treats…
- Things move fast when you’re making Rice Krispie treats. You don’t want the marshmallows to scorch but you also don’t want them to cool too much and get too hard to mix into. So I like to have everything measured and ready to go so I can move through the steps quickly.
- When you are gently pressing the Rice Krispies into the pan, it can get a little tricky because they are so sticky. I like to use the bottom of a measuring cup that I’ve sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use your hands instead if you prefer. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray or run them in some water and shake off the excess.
How Long do Rice Krispie Treats Keep?
More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes:
- Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats
- Reese’s Rice Krispies
- Biscoff Rice Krispies
- Scotcheroo Rice Krispy Treats
- Milky Way Krispies
- Fluffernutter Rice Krispies
- Rice Krispie Treat in a Mug
- All our Rice Krispie Treats Recipes!
Churro Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 10 Cups Mini Marshmallows, , divided
- 4 Cups Cinnamon Sugar Rice Krispies Cereal, *see note
- 2 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt, , fine grain
- 5 Tablespoons Cinnamon Sugar, , divided
- Spray a 8×8-inch pan (**see note) with non-stick spray and line it with a foil or parchment paper sling. Spray again. Sprinkle the pan generously with 3 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar.
- In a very large microwave-safe bowl, or in a pot on the stove over medium heat, place your butter, salt, and 8 cups of mini marshmallows. Microwave in 30-second increments, or heat, stirring in between, until everything is completely melted and smooth.
- Add vanilla and stir again.
- Pour in the combined rice krispies cereal and mix well.
- Add in the remaining marshmallows while still warm and lightly press into your prepared pan (***see note). Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.