This Homemade Pancake Mix uses just six basic ingredients and makes prepping breakfast a breeze! Enjoy this dry pancake mix recipe yourself, or gift it to friends and family around the holidays!
Easy Homemade Pancake Mix Recipe
The time is here!! You all have been amazingly patient while we created this homemade pancake mix tutorial for you. I wanted to make sure that we not only got it exactly right, but I also wanted to give you a free printable!!!!
If you want your containers to look like ours PLUS have the recipe for convenience, I got you covered, friend!
Alright, in case you haven’t noticed, being prepared to make things if you can’t get fresh items or can’t get to the store, you can still bust out pancakes at any ol’ time. Let’s jump into it starting with the items you should always not only have in your pantry, but store a stockpile of.
Dry Pancake Mix Ingredients
This pancake mix from scratch uses just six basic ingredients. You’ll need to add extra ingredients later on to make the pancake batter, but here’s all you need for the dry mix:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Powdered Buttermilk
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
What is Powdered Buttermilk?
Buttermilk Powder is dry buttermilk, much like you can buy dry milk powder. If you can’t find buttermilk powder, I can help! Head to a grocery store and check the baking aisle for this ingredient. In Utah, it’s easiest to find it at Macey’s or Walmart, but Harmons and Smiths have it too.
Do I Have to Use Powdered Buttermilk?
Still can’t find it and want to know what you can use instead of buttermilk powder? Use 1/3 cup dry powdered milk in the dry mix and then when you’re ready to make them add the water, then add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. This is not the same as using buttermilk, but it’s better than skipping.
How to Make Pancake Mix from Scratch
It’s super crazy easy to make pancake mix from scratch and I highly recommend you teach your kiddos to do it, too.
- In a very large bowl, add the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together to ensure that everything is properly mixed.
- Store in an airtight container like this OXO container.
How to Make Pancakes From Dry Pancake Mix
To make pancakes from the dry pancake mix recipe, you’ll need to add eggs, water, and melted butter.
- Measure out 3 cups of mix. Add the eggs and water, then stir.
- Right before everything is combined, stir in the melted butter.
- Cook on a preheated griddle as you normally would.
What if I Don’t Have Fresh Eggs?
You can skip the fresh eggs and use dehydrated powdered eggs to make this pancake mix recipe shelf stable in case of emergency when you can’t buy eggs. You’ll have to skip the butter if you don’t have powdered butter as well and just use extra water.
1 Tablespoon of dehydrated eggs to 2 tablespoons of water = 1 Single Egg
Why Aren’t My Pancakes Fluffy?
- Never over-mixing or beating the batter is key to a fluffy pancake
- Make sure to use fresh leavening ingredients like baking powder and baking soda as these do go bad.
- Try letting the batter sit for up to 30 minutes so the leavening can activate if they are not fluffy.
- The proper ratio of ingredients so don’t just eyeball it!
How to Store Pancake Mix
Our favorite method of storage is in a 4QT OXO Storage Container. You can store it in the pantry or fridge depending on how long you want it to last for. We only do the pantry.
How Long Will Pancake Mix Last?
A strictly dry ingredients pancake mix can last for up to 4 months if stored properly. Storing in the fridge will extend that to up to 6 months.
Can Pancakes Be Made in Advance?
You can easily make pancakes ahead of time and keep them warm on a plate with foil covering. Especially if you have a warm setting on your oven. We store already made pancakes in a ziplock or Tupperware in the fridge for up to a week.
How to Reheat Pancakes
You can reheat pancakes in the microwave, on a pan or if you’re careful in a toaster!
Can You Freeze Pancakes?
You can freeze pancakes in a plastic freezer bag as long as you completely cool them and place them in the bag in a single layer, and never stacked.
Can I Add Mix-Ins to the Pancake Mix?
Of course! Once you’re ready to make the pancakes you can add:
- A dash of Vanilla
- A dash of Coconut Extract
- Chocolate Chips
Our Favorite Pancake Toppings
One last thing — we can’t let you make easy homemade pancakes using our homemade pancake mix recipe without chatting about the best part. Toppings! Here are a few of our all-time favorite pancake toppings:
- Buttermilk Syrup
- Coconut Buttermilk Syrup
- Meyer Lemon Syrup
- Buttermilk Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter Maple Syrup
- Milky Way Syrup
- Creamy Marionberry Syrup
- Creamy Chocolate Syrup
- Strawberry Syrup
- Reese’ Syrup
More Favorite Pancake Recipes:
- Classic Buttermilk Pancakes
- Meyer Lemon Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Brown Sugar Peach Pancakes
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Gluten Free Pancakes
- Sour Cream Pancakes
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Homemade Pancake Mix
For the Mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup powdered buttermilk
- 3 Cups dry mix (recipe above)
- 2 eggs , slightly whisked
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
To make the dry mix:
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Store in an OXO pop top container. (Or at least that's what we've found works the best.)
To make pancakes from the mix:
- Measure out 3 cups of mix. Add the eggs, water, and stir. Right before everything is combined, stir in the butter.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and spray with nonstick spray. Cook pancakes until bubbles form, flip and cook again until set.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.