Jello in popcorn? You only need 4 simple ingredients for this fun snack! Jello popcorn is our family’s latest obsession and you can use any flavor Jello you like best!
I was totally and completely obsessed with Jello growing up and this would have been one more amazing way for me to enjoy it but the truth is, I just learned about it a few months ago. Our neighbors, Rod and Tawya, totally hooked us up with a batch one weekend and I’ve been utterly obsessed ever since.
I honestly can’t even explain this treat to you. It’s better than caramel popcorn IMHO, and it’s also easier than caramel popcorn so it’s a huge win at our house. The kids love how bright and gooey it is and it has started all sorts of kid conversations about what else we should take from classic to new and wild.
So far Claire has requested Muddy Buddies Rice Krispies Treats.
Thoughts? Should we try it out?
Ingredients for Jello Popcorn
I mentioned that you only need 4 ingredients for this recipe. So simple! Here they are:
- Jello (3oz)
- Butter (unsalted)
- Mini Marshmallows
Do you have them in the pantry already?? I’ve started to just buy mini mallows every time I grocery shop. The measurements for each can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Jello Popcorn
You know those kind of snacks that are addicting but also super easy? Those snacks are so dangerous! This is one of those recipes.
- Pop the popcorn and remove the unpopped kernels.
- Put the popcorn in a large bowl.
- Place the butter and marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until the marshmallows have melted and everything is smooth.
- Add the Jello to the marshmallow mixture and stir well.
- PRO TIP: Use the Jello powder. Do not mix the powder with water first.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn and gently stir everything together until well coated.
- Cool on a cookie sheet.
- PRO TIP: If you are making popcorn balls, put some oil on your hands and shape the popcorn. The oil keeps the popcorn from sticking all over your hands.
Can You Substitute Large Marshmallows For Mini Marshmallows?
Yes, a 10 oz. package of marshmallows, (around 40) is equal to 4 cups (or 8 oz.) of mini marshmallows.
Melting larger marshmallows will take longer.
How to Remove Unpopped Kernels
Place a cooling rack with smaller holes over the top of the bowl of popcorn. Holding the cooling to the top of the bowl, tip the bowl over and shake the bowl over a cookie sheet. All the unpopped kernels will work their way down and out of the bowl and onto the cookie sheet.
Jello Popcorn Ideas
The options for fun jello popcorn ideas are endless. My kids want to make a new batch every single day! Here are a few ideas:
- Pink or blue for a baby shower
- Green for St. Patrick’s Day
- Red, white (no Jello powder added) and blue for 4th of July
- Orange and purple for Halloween
- Red and green for Christmas
- Lots of bright colors for a birthday party
Let your imagination and taste buds run wild! We haven’t come across a flavor we don’t like yet. My son’s favorite is the blue raspberry! The photos show classic strawberry. They are all so addicting!
How Long Will Popped Popcorn Keep?
Store popped popcorn in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Get ready for a new addicting snack recipe that people of all ages can’t resist! Jello popcorn is super easy to make and will satisfy that sweet tooth. And they are so bright and fun!
More Snack Recipes to Eat by the Handful:
- Muddy Buddies Mix
- Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn
- Churro Chex Mix
- 5 Minute Reese’s Snack Mix
- Coconut Sweet Chex Mix
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Salt & Vinegar Popcorn
- Easy Candied Pretzels
- Parmesan Herb Pretzel Nibblers
- Ranch Slow Cooker Chex Mix
- Apple Pie Popcorn
- Garlic Parmesan Dill Popcorn
- Churro Popcorn
- Reese’s Krispies Popcorn
- Coconut Oil Kettle Corn
- All our yummy Snack Recipes!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- 3 oz Jello any flavor
- 1/4 Cup Butter unsalted
- 16 oz. Mini Marshmallows
- 1 Bag Popcorn microwaveable, or 1 cup kernals
- Pop the popcorn and remove all unpopped kernels.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat up the butter and marshmallows for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until smooth.
- Add Jello and stir well. (from box, don't mix with water)
- Pour over popcorn and stir.
- If creating popcorn balls, add oil to your hands and shape into balls.
- Cool on a cookie sheet.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.