You guys, or gals, whatever, we painted our downstairs, kitchen, bathroom, living room and dining area ALL DAY yesterday and I still managed 2 loads of laundry, bathed two kids and got them to bed. I’m pooped. So, here’s a really, really fantastic lemon chicken recipe from Red Couch Recipes and I’m off to clean house and rest.
Adapted from Red Couch Recipes
- 3 pounds of chicken, cut into small pieces
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Serve over cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking solda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup honey
- 9 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Ketchup
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- Place chicken in 13 x 9x 2-inch glass baking pan.
- In separate bowl, put together the ingredients for the marinade, as listed above.
- Turn chicken to coat both sides.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade.
- While chicken is in the refrigerator, add the lemon sauce ingredients, as listed above, except the cornstarch and the water, until mixture is brought to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- At this point, in a small prep bowl, add the cornstarch and water together and mix well.
- Then add cornstarch mixture to sauce.
- Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, about 10-20 seconds.
- Heat vegetable oil (about 2-3 inches) in an electric Wok (or other electric deep-frying appliance) to 350 degrees.
- Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, in the batter.
- Before you place each piece of battered chicken in the hot oil, shake off the excess batter.
- Fry 8-10 pieces at a time, until lightly brown — about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and drain chicken on a paper towel-lined jelly roll pan.
- To keep the deep-fried chicken warm, put jelly roll pan in a 200 degree oven with foil over the top.
- Arrange deep-fried chicken on a platter, pour Lemon Sauce over the chicken and garnish with lemon slices. I usually have extra sauce and I serve it on the side.
- Serve with cooked rice.
Yield: 1 recipe, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 6804 Calories
- Total Fat: 400.4g
- Cholesterol: 1351.3mg
- Carbohydrates: 524.6g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Sugar: 333.8g
- Protein: 290.8g