You guys, or gals, whatever, we painted our downstairs, kitchen, bathroom, living room and dining area ALL DAY yesterday and I still managed 2 loads of laundry, bathed two kids and got them to bed. I’m pooped. So, here’s a really, really fantastic lemon chicken recipe from Red Couch Recipes and I’m off to clean house and rest.
How Long Will Chicken Keep In The Freezer?
Fresh, whole chicken will keep for up to 1 year in the freezer.
Chicken pieces can be frozen for up to 9 months.
What is The Best Oil For Frying?
Extra light olive oil and sunflower oil have a high smoke point and heart-healthy unsaturated fats.
Other good oils for frying food are canola, safflower and peanut oils.
Can You Reheat Fried Chicken?
Let cold fried chicken set at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with foil and place the chicken on the sheet.
Cover the pan of chicken with another sheet of foil.
Bake for 20 minutes, turn off the oven and remove foil, leave the chicken in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp.
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Adapted from Red Couch Recipes
- 3 pounds chicken cut into small pieces
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Serve over cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking solda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup honey
- 9 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Ketchup
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- Place chicken in 13 x 9x 2-inch glass baking pan.
- In separate bowl, put together the ingredients for the marinade, as listed above.
- Turn chicken to coat both sides.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade.
- While chicken is in the refrigerator, add the lemon sauce ingredients, as listed above, except the cornstarch and the water, until mixture is brought to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- At this point, in a small prep bowl, add the cornstarch and water together and mix well.
- Then add cornstarch mixture to sauce.
- Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, about 10-20 seconds.
- Heat vegetable oil (about 2-3 inches) in an electric Wok (or other electric deep-frying appliance) to 350 degrees.
- Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, in the batter.
- Before you place each piece of battered chicken in the hot oil, shake off the excess batter.
- Fry 8-10 pieces at a time, until lightly brown -- about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and drain chicken on a paper towel-lined jelly roll pan.
- To keep the deep-fried chicken warm, put jelly roll pan in a 200 degree oven with foil over the top.
- Arrange deep-fried chicken on a platter, pour Lemon Sauce over the chicken and garnish with lemon slices. I usually have extra sauce and I serve it on the side.
- Serve with cooked rice.